Thursday 12 January 2012

An Introduction and Cherry Jam!

Hello everyone, and thank you for visiting my new blog!

My name is Jeanne, and my daughter's name is Amy.  I've created this blog because my daughter, who is almost three years old, has been a HUGE Strawberry Shortcake fan since she learned how to talk -- and probably even earlier than that.  Because of my daughter, and my mission to make her happy - I've become a fan through association, and I've got to admit - I feel just a teensy bit silly admitting that.  But here I am, and I'll own it!  :)

I'm going to gear this blog toward Canadian parents of Strawberry Shortcake fans, because I have found that finding Strawberry Shortcake items in Canada has been a bit of a challenge, and I'd like to share the resources I've found - for those of you in the same predicament.  I will also be providing honest and independent product and toy reviews, and anything else SSC related that I stumble across!

Since this is an introductory post - what would be more fitting than to talk about Cherry Jam - the newest addition to Berry Bitty City?  Before I start talking about this little cutie, I have to admit that I haven't yet seen a full episode with Cherry Jam in it.  One of the quirks of being a Canadian, and the area that I live, is that I only have one channel that shows Strawberry Shortcake (Playhouse Disney), and my PVR hasn't caught her yet.  That said, I'm very aware of who she is, thanks to the miracle of the interwebs!


As I am writing this, Cherry Jam's "Anything is Possible" video is playing, for the fifth time in a row (on Youtube), and my daughter is dancing around the room and cheering.  Watch it here: Cherry Jam - Anything Is Possible  (See more music videos at www.strawberryshortcake.com)  It's so catchy - and like all of Strawberry Shortcake's new songs, they carry a great message for little girls!  What's not for a mother to love!

She's a rock star, she's got catchy tunes, and she's cute as a button.  I just can't wait to see the first episode with her in it!

I'll also take this opportunity to do a quick toy review.  Before Christmas, I was lucky enough to stumble across Cherry Jam and Lemon Meringue:



Before I get started on the review, I need to vent a small frustration.  It is so difficult to find specific Strawberry Shortcake items in Canada, and more specifically - Ottawa.  I will use Toys R Us as an example.  Their website has 1 page, 12 items of Strawberry Shortcake toys.  When I visit the store, they either have quite a bit - or barely any at all - and there doesn't seem to be any consistency with what they carry.  Toys R Us the American site, has *five* pages of Strawberry Shortcake toys. 

Anyway, I was strolling through Toys R Us, the tiny little section that carries SSC of course, and I stumbled across this little gem.  A small set, I'm assuming quite rare because I had to take my own picture, I could not find it anywhere online!  It includes Lemon Meringue, Cherry Jam, a strawberry table, a teapot and two teacups. 

Pros:
  • The shoes are removable (the hole on their foot is placed on their bare foot). 
  • The dresses (I find) are very cute, and so is Lemon's hair-do.
  • They have a hair decoration with a small peg on their heads.  I can only assume that they've been designed this way so you could switch the decorations (Cherry Jam has a flower and Lemon has a lemon).
  • The tea cups have the handles that make it possible for the little dolls to hold them on their own
Cons:
  • The biggest con I have with the set is actually the hole for the hair decoration.  The little decorations kept falling out on the first day, and they didn't seem to snap in quite right.  As a result, both were lost (thus why you cannot see them in the pictures), which bugs me to no end because I try to keep track of all the little pieces.
  • The set by itself is actually sort of boring.  The strawberry is a bit pointless, and although the tea set is cute - if you have the cafe or the market, your little one will have plenty of imaginary drinks and food to play with.  
I apologize, because I threw out the box and I do not know the name of the set - but you'll know it when you see it.  I'm guessing it's a bit of a sneak peak, as the rumour is that we have to wait until spring 2012 for Cherry Jam toys, though it seems the slightly bigger doll has already been introduced http://www.bcshopper.com/strawberry-shortcake-garden-pretty-cherry-jam-doll.  However, I haven't seen it in stores around here yet.

If anyone has the name of the toy, please put it in the comments - and I'll update the post.  Also, thank you for visiting!

xo

Jeanne

3 comments:

  1. Hi there, just wondering if you know how to download the new strawberry/cherry music? I want to add it to iTunes to make a cd for my daughter, but can't find anywhere to download them from.

    THanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I've done is gone to www.savevid.com - it's a website that allows you to download Youtube videos into .mp4 format on to your computer. I've put these on my iPad and my daughter looks at them that way.

    I believe that there is a software out there that allows you to convert .mp4s into .mp3s but I'm not sure which ones are reliable - hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, the name of that playset is "Sun Lovin' Garden." I have it, and love it too!

    ReplyDelete